Colonel Frank Coxe, the namesake of Coxe Ave in downtown Asheville, was one of the major names in the early history of Asheville. In addition to realizing the beauty of Asheville and its potential as a vacation town, Coxe also had the forethought to build a hotel capable of attracting the very wealthy from both the northeast and the low country to the Western North Carolina Mountains. In 1886 he opened the original Battery Park Hotel on the site of what is now the Grove Arcade. His opening of the hotel coincided with the completion of the railroad to Asheville from the east. With easy rail access, Asheville was no longer isolated.